UMD Jazz Audtion Information
Interested in playing with the UMD Jazz Big Bands or Jazz Combos?
- Sign up for a placement/audition time
- Fill out a Jazz audition form
Note, you will need to be logged into your UMD Google account to access these forms.
What to expect when you audition:
- Be prepared to play some scales, sight-read, play a prepared piece of your choice (this could be a jazz tune, etude, classical solo, etc.). Drummers should be prepared to play styles
- If you are choosing to play in a combo or audition for a jazz chair, improvise over F Blues or jazz standard from the following list or another standard tune that you are familiar with
- All The Things You Are; Blue Bossa, Don’t Get Around Much Anymore, Autumn Leaves
- Auditions will be on Weber Music Hall Stage
- Piano, guitar/bass amps, drums will be provided
- Drummers – Please bring your own stick bag
- Please come with your horn put together, warmed up, and ready to play
Contact Ryan Frane with any additional questions
UMD Jazz Overview
UMD Jazz offers several jazz combos that are taken for credit. These groups place emphasis on developing small group skills including improvisation and composition by preparing and performing standard and original compositions. These combos play a variety of styles including swing, latin, rock and funk and are coached by various members of the Jazz faculty. The jazz combos play concerts regularly both on and off campus as well as various gigs as organized by the students and faculty.
UMD Jazz Ensemble I and II are offered for credit and perform regular concerts each semester. The University of Minnesota Duluth Jazz Ensemble I has a long standing reputation for performing and supporting quality jazz big band compositions and arrangements from the traditional masters as well as contemporary professionals. Jazz Ensemble I has become a representative for jazz and the University of Minnesota Duluth through many performances of local, regional, national and international stature. Recent performances include the Montreux and North Sea jazz festivals in Switzerland and the Netherlands, Teatro Politeama in Palermo, Italy, Minnesota Music Educators Association's annual conference in Minneapolis, Minnesota, performances at many Duluth, MN as well as greater Minnesota and Wisconsin area schools and events including the annual University of Minnesota Duluth Head of the Lakes Jazz Festival, where the ensemble has performed with many greats such as John Scofield, Kenny Werner, Ernie Watts, Tom Harrell, Dick Oatts, Slide Hampton, Bobby Shew, Frank Tiberi, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Randy Brecker, Frank Foster, Freddie Hubbard, Ernie Krivida, Jim McNeely, Rufus Reid, Wallace Roney, Claudio Roditi and many others. If you're interested in finding out more about UMD JAZZ I, please contact Ryan Frane
Faculty Jazz Ensemble
Formed in 1992, the UMD Faculty Jazz Ensemble combines performing and teaching with an active schedule of tours, concerts, and workshops. Activities range from performances for school children of all ages to concerts with such artists as Greg Abate, Steve Turre, Ernie Krivda, Slide Hampton, Wallace Roney and Claudio Roditi. During the past few years, the UMD Faculty jazz combo has worked with students and performed for many schools including Wayzata, Champlin Park, Edina, Maple Grove, Monticello, Hopkins, South St. Paul, Forest Lake, Unity, Waseca, White Bear Lake, Spring Lake Park, Eagan, Apple Valley, Stillwater, Burnsville, Rosemount, Eden Prarie, Waseca, Eau Claire North, Eau Claire Memorial.