To apply for any of the following scholarships, please use this link:
The Washburn Award is given annually to outstanding majors in the field of history. To be eligible, a student must by the spring semester preceding the year of the award:
- Have completed 80 semester credits of which a minimum of 20 are in history
- Be a history major currently enrolled in UMD
- Have an overall GPA of 3.00
- Not have received a Washburn Award previously.
The number and amount of the Washburn awards are decided by the History program's faculty who take into account the student’s overall GPA, history GPA, and number of history credits. Of these factors, history GPA is the most important. All majors who meet the requirements are automatically considered.
The Washburn Award is named in honor of J. L. Washburn, a prominent Duluth attorney who was the resident director of the Duluth Teachers College (now UMD), and as such, served on the board governing Minnesota’s state teachers colleges.
Bathory Lane Scholarship
Awarded to full-time, undergraduate student in good academic standing and pursuing a degree in History. Minimum GPA of 3.0. Must demonstrate financial need. Entering Juniors Only.
Maude Lindquist Scholarship
Awarded to outstanding History major. Entering Juniors and Seniors.
Arnie Ranta Scholarship
Student scholarship selection criteria:
- Enrolled full-time
- In good academic standing
- Majoring or minoring in Political Science or History
- Preference will be given to students from Northern Minnesota
Kwapik Memorial Fund
The criteria has not yet been set up yet. Please contact the department for more information.
To be given to a student minoring in African and African American Studies.