The UMD Department of Music prides itself in the accomplishment of our majors. Whether you are an undergraduate music major or a graduate seeking a Master’s degree in music, our Music Department is committed to assisting students achieve demanding standards of performance and scholarship in the classroom, the rehearsal room, and on stage. We encourage our students to make ethical and gratifying choices as citizens within the musical community.
NEWS FOR FALL 2021 SEMESTER
Welcome Music Students
Everyone at the University Minnesota Duluth Department of Music is excited to see our music students back on campus this fall and to welcome our new music majors. While the operations of our department will definitely look much different this year, we planned and will work to ensure the high-quality learning experience students at the UMD Department of Music are accustomed to, while also protecting the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff.
This page is intended to serve as the starting point for information you need for your safety and the success of the approaching academic year. It will regularly be updated as we receive new information.
Please familiarize yourself with our Music Faculty & Staff Directory.
- UMD started the Spring semester as planned on Wednesday, January 13.
- Spring semester classes will end on Tuesday, April 27, and we will add three “study days” without classes April 28–30 prior to final exam week beginning Monday, May 3. View UMD’s academic calendar.
- In Fall 2021, UMD is planning for more in-person class experiences and campus activities. Supported by emerging, positive trends related to the pandemic, and guidance from public health officials, there will be an increased number of fall courses, as well as continued hybrid and remote learning possibilities.
- The Stop the Spread of COVID-19 and the #maskupUMD initiatives are our shared commitment to protect one another with proper hand-washing, physical distancing, and wearing masks.
- The University is working with the MN Department of Health, who is conducting COVID-19 tracing and necessary investigations related to a positive COVID case. Cases will be tracked on the UMD COVID Dashboard.
- UMD Health Services will offer COVID testing for students who are showing symptoms or have been in close contact (defined as being less than six feet apart for greater than a cumulative 15 minutes in 24 hours) with someone diagnosed with COVID . Faculty and staff should seek medical resources from their healthcare provider or other community testing site.
- Learn more about COVID-19 testing protocols on campus.
- All University of Minnesota faculty, staff, students, and visitors are required to use a face covering to cover both the nose and mouth at all times when in any enclosed or indoor space on University campuses and properties with some exceptions. Find more information on the face covering protocol and FAQ.
- For the health and safety of our campus community, campus visitors are encouraged to limit their interactions as much as possible and go directly to the location on campus they need to access. For the Office of Admissions, please park in gold lot A and follow Office of Admissions directional signage. For the UMD Bookstore, please enter directly into Kirby Student Center off of Kirby Drive via the bus hub. Learn more about parking and door access from campus maps.
- For more information about COVID and UMD, check archived communications from Chancellor Black.