Our program exists - first and foremost - to provide our students with the resources, tools, experience, and exposure to help position them to be successful academics and budding professionals. Pursuing an internship provides students with numerous benefits, some of which include:
- 'Real world' exposure to a field of interest - that can't be duplicated in the classroom - which helps students better understand what their career interests may be;
- Professional experience and references, that will help position students to be stronger professional candidates following graduation;
- An opportunity for students to grow their professional network, which will play a critical role in their future professional lives;
- The chance for students to 'test' themselves outside of the classroom, helping them build their confidence as young professionals prepared for life after graduation;
- And possibly putting themselves in a position to be hired by an organization that they contributed to as an intern.
Students should review UMD's Gold-Pass, for internship and job opportunities posted through UMD and the University of Minnesota system in general; this is the largest repository of opportunities posted by companies specifically interested in considering UMD students for their career and internship opportunities. Below are links to additional information and resources, that we encourage students to review before taking additional steps in the pursuit of an internship through the Communication Department.
Career and Internship Services at UMD
Career and Internship Events at UMD