Philanthropy is defined by the leading professional fundraising associations as "… based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life."
Your investment in the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences at UMD ensures that our students and faculty can engage in meaningful research and pursue their creative endeavors to their fullest capacity. Today, in a technologically advanced and globally interdependent world, your support for the liberal arts--the foundation of all academic learning--is more important than ever.
Together we can discover how your passion can impact the lives of our students and faculty. There are several ways for you to get involved.
- You may wish to support a talented musician, actor, or graphic artist through specific departmental scholarships or provide these talented youth with the best facilities in which they may create their future.
- Fund an annual scholarship. With a gift of $1,000 annually, we can establish a named scholarship that will be awarded to a student each fall based on mutually agreed upon criteria. This is a powerful way to honor someone significant in your life or establish your own legacy here at UMD. You will be invited to our annual CAHSS Awards Reception and have a chance to meet your scholarship recipient. This meaningful gift can be split into smaller payments throughout the year.
- Make an annual gift of any size to the program or department of your choice. Each department's gift fund is used to help support student travel to conferences, special events for the department, and bringing visiting scholars to UMD.
- Endow a professorship. Endowed positions in CAHSS give us the ability to recruit and retain the highest caliber faculty in our departments. These positions offer faculty extra opportunities for research in their field and expose our students to these opportunities as well.
- Leave a gift to CAHSS through your estate plan. Consider naming UMD and the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences as a beneficiary of an existing IRA or in your will. There are so many ways in which you can make a lasting impact on CAHSS through a planned gift. Some of these giving vehicles even provide you with an income during your lifetime. Let's talk if you are interested in learning more.
Financial contributions to the University are managed by the UMD Development Office. Generous gifts to the University of Minnesota Duluth from alumni, friends, corporations and foundations provide the resources necessary for awarding scholarships and fellowships to students, recruiting and retaining outstanding faculty and staff, improving and equipping learning and research facilities, and advancing the University's reputation for excellence. UMD accepts gifts in a variety of forms so that prospective donors may choose the types of gifts that best match their philanthropic goals and the needs of the University.
The "Buy a Seat" campaign is one unique way to specifically support the UMD fine arts. With a gift of $600, payable over three years or less, donors can use this opportunity to honor a teacher, remember a friend, create a memorial or commemorate a birthday or anniversary. A beautiful plaque is displayed in either the Weber Music Hall or Marshall Performing Arts Center to represent each endowment, and your gift will help to continue important programs in the UMD fine arts.
Over the years, many individuals have given sculptures, paintings, period clothing/fabric, building materials, and other types of personal property to UMD. Our facilities and programs would certainly not have the quality collections they do if it were not for the generosity of our many donors. A gift of this nature can involve various regulations, and our Development Office can assist you if you have specific questions or wish to inquire whether your donation will be usable.
Gifts of your time and talents
The units of the UMD fine arts welcome volunteers in a variety of areas. Please contact the following areas for details and to learn about the current opportunities.
Tweed Museum of Art - gallery teacher, greeter, education, resource center, registrarial assistant, exhibitions, museum store, graphic design. Visit the Tweed volunteering page for additional information.
Music /Theatre - ushering for concerts or theater performances (see the performance for free), publicity/distribution of posters and other marketing materials, backstage construction crew, sewing/costume shop. Contact the Ticket Office (218-726-8561) for additional information.