Academic Standing & Probation

Collegiate Academic Policies

Expand all

Collegiate Academic Policies

Good Academic Standing

Our collegiate unit requires students to maintain a cumulative University GPA of at least a 2.00 and to earn a term GPA of at least 2.00 each semester. Students' records are reviewed after each term. Students who do not maintain Good Academic Standing will be placed on academic probation.

NOTE: UMD Housing has their own contract terms regarding good academic standing. Please see the Housing Guidebook for more information.

Probationary Students

All students experiencing academic struggles can schedule a meeting with an academic advisor within our Advising & Academic Services to determine an individual plan for improvement and receive support. Students are also encouraged to consider utilizing the Free, Caring and Confidential Counseling through the UMD Health Services. For additional resources and support, please see our Student Success page. 

STUDENTS: Probationary students have a hold on their record that prevents future registration. Around midterm time, they must schedule an appointment with an academic advisor within our office. Students are required to submit the following form prior to their scheduled appointment to assist with the meeting.

   * * * Midterm Progress Report Form * * *

After the appointment, the academic advisor will release the hold to allow registration. This may take 1-3 business days. Release of this hold does not imply students are extended on academic probation. Records will be reviewed at the end of the term to determine the status of each student.

Academic Warning (Hold: PW)
Students who do not achieve a single term GPA of at least 2.00 are placed on academic warning. Academic advisement is required in order to register for the next semester. Schedule a meeting with an academic advisor.

Academic Probation (Holds: P1, P2, PL3)
Students whose cumulative GPA is below Good Academic Standing are placed on academic probation. Students have one semester to re-attain good academic standing (2.00 cumulative GPA). Academic advisement is required in order to register for the next semester. Schedule a meeting with an academic advisor.

Satisfactory academic progress standards for financial aid recipients
Federal regulations require the University to establish, publish and apply standards to monitor a student's progress toward completion of their degree program. If students fail to meet these standards, they will be placed on financial aid warning or suspension. Students will be required to file a Student Financial Aid eligibility application.

Academic Suspension & Appeals

Students whose cumulative GPA remains below good academic standing after one term of academic probation are subject to academic suspension. The Advising Director along with the Associate Dean decides either to suspend or to extend a student’s probation. Only students whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 may be suspended. Students are encouraged to seek academic advisement from our Advising & Academic Services office regarding future academic plans.

Notification & Appeal
The Office of the Registrar sends an email communication to students notifying them of their suspension. Students have 24 hours to appeal. After 24 hours, the Office of the Registrar will begin the administrative steps of suspending students and canceling the following:

  • Class registration(s) for all classes that have not begun yet
  • Financial aid (loans, grants, college work study, etc.)
  • Financial awards (UMD scholarships)
  • On-campus housing contract (Contact the UMD Housing Office (218) 726-8178 regarding further housing contract questions.)
  • Email will be discontinued after approximately two weeks, contact ITSS for more information.

Students who wish to appeal their academic suspension must submit a written letter requesting to be extended on academic probation and describe their plans to remedy their academic situation. Also, they are encouraged to submit documentation that supports their request for an exception to UMD's Academic Standing policy. The supporting documentation should help explain the event(s) or condition(s) that contributed to their academic standing. If needed, please use the Medical Condition Verification form. Appeals without supporting documentation are unlikely to be approved. Appeals with supporting documentation does not guarantee approval. Appeal letters and all supporting documentation may be emailed to Pam Spencer, [email protected]. The review process usually takes 3-5 business days.


After two consecutive terms (this includes summer) has passed, a student may submit their re-enrollment request. Re-enrollment at the University will not be automatic. A student must be able to demonstrate that they can succeed within an academic program or that the circumstances causing their academic hardship have changed. Upon return, they will be placed on academic probation. Students seeking admission to CAHSS are required to submit the following forms found on this site: Returning to CAHSS.

Coursework taken outside the University of Minnesota system will be considered. However, final grades must be submitted along with the required forms. Students who elect to continue their academics should reflect on what caused their previous performance. Their mental health, physical health, safety, well-being, etc is the top priority. We want students to be healthy, supported and ready to succeed.

  • Considering taking courses elsewhere? Access Transferology to verify how courses will transfer back to UMD. Additional information about transferring courses to UMD is available through UMD's One Stop Transfer Credit page.
  • Repeating courses outside the U of MN system? View the UMD policy on Course Repeats (section F).

Last Grade. Only the last grade recorded is used in calculating the University of Minnesota GPA. Only the most recently completed credits can be applied toward graduation requirements.

Outside the University of Minnesota System.  UMD students may take an equivalent course at an institution outside of the University of Minnesota system to replace a course previously completed at UMD only if department approval is granted before registering for the course through the Retake a Course form (Registration > Retake a Course). Although this course may be used to meet UMD degree requirements, its grade will not be included in the student’s University of Minnesota GPA. Only the most recently completed credits can be applied towards graduation requirements. A notation will be added to the transcript that the UMD course was repeated at another institution.