Academic Standing & Probation

Good Academic Standing

Our collegiate unit requires students to maintain a cumulative University GPA of at least a 2.00 and to earn a term GPA of at least 2.00 each semester. Students' records are reviewed after each term. Students who do not maintain Good Academic Standing may be placed on Probation.

Probationary Students

All probationary students should talk with an academic advisor within our Advising & Academic Services to determine an individual plan for improvement. Students are also encouraged to consider utilizing the Free, Caring and Confidential Counseling through the UMD Health Services.

All probationary students have a hold on their record. This hold will prevent registration for next term. To remove the hold, students are required to receive academic advisement and submit the following form:

   * * * Academic Standing Self-Assessment * * *

Academic Warning (Hold: PW)
Students who do not achieve a single term GPA of at least 2.00 are placed on academic warning.

Academic Probation (Holds: P1, P2, PL3)
Students whose cumulative GPA is below Good Academic Standing are placed on academic probation. Students have one semester to re-attain good academic standing (2.00 cumulative GPA).

Satisfactory academic progress standards for financial aid recipients
Federal regulations require the University to establish, publish and apply standards to monitor a student's progress toward completion of their degree program. If students fail to meet these standards, they will be placed on financial aid warning or suspension. Students will be required to file a Student Financial Aid eligibility application.

Academic Suspension

Academic Suspension (Hold: OV)
Students whose cumulative GPA remains below good academic standing after one term of academic probation are subject to academic suspension. The Advising Director along with the Associate Dean decides either to suspend or to extend a student’s probation. Only students whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 may be suspended. Students are encouraged to seek academic advisement from our Advising & Academic Services office regarding future academic plans.

Notification & Appeal
The Office of the Registrar sends an email communication to students notifying them of their suspension. Students have 24 hours to appeal. After 24 hours, the Office of the Registrar will begin the administrative steps of suspending students:

  • Class registration(s) for all classes that have not begun yet
  • Financial aid (loans, grants, college work study, etc.)
  • Financial awards (UMD scholarships)
  • On-campus housing contract (Contact the UMD Housing Office (218) 726-8178 regarding further housing contract questions.)
  • Email will be discontinued after approximately two weeks, contact ITSS for more information.

Students who wish to appeal their academic suspension must submit a written letter requesting to be extended on academic probation and describe their plans to remedy their academic situation. Also, they are encouraged to submit documentation that supports their request for an exception to UMD's Academic Standing policy. The supporting documentation should help explain the event(s) or condition(s) that contributed to their academic standing. Letters without supporting documentation are unlikely to be approved. Appeal letters and supporting documentation may be emailed to Stacy Crawford, [email protected]. The review process usually takes 3-5 business days.


Your re-enrollment at the University will not be automatic. You must be able to demonstrate that you can succeed within your academic program or that the circumstances causing your academic hardship have changed. Upon return, you will be placed on probation. Students seeking admission to CAHSS are required to submit the Admission after Suspension form, Readmission/Return from Leave of Absence Application and all supporting documentation (medical, health, obituaries, etc). All documentation must be received by our collegiate unit at least one week prior to the first day of the term. Late submissions will be returned and may be re-submitted for the next term. Students requesting financial aid will be required to file a Student Financial Aid eligibility application with supporting documentation.

Coursework taken outside the University of Minnesota system will be considered. However, final grades must be submitted along with the required forms. Students who elect to continue their academics should reflect on what caused their previous performance. Their mental health, physical health, safety, well-being, etc is the top priority. We want students to be healthy, supported and ready to succeed.

  • Considering taking courses elsewhere? Access Transferology to verify how courses will transfer back to UMD. Additional information about transferring courses to UMD is available through UMD's One Stop Transfer Credit page.
  • Repeating courses outside the U of MN system? View the UMD policy on Course Repeats (section F).

Last Grade. Only the last grade recorded is used in calculating the University of Minnesota GPA. Only the most recently completed credits can be applied toward graduation requirements.
Outside the University of Minnesota System.  UMD students may take an equivalent course at an institution outside of the University of Minnesota system to replace a course previously completed at UMD only if department approval is granted before registering for the course through the Retake a Course form. Although this course may be used to meet UMD degree requirements, its grade will not be included in the student’s University of Minnesota GPA. Only the most recently completed credits can be applied towards graduation requirements. A notation will be added to the transcript that the UMD course was repeated at another institution.

See also the UMD Academic Standing Policy.